Sunday, October 23, 2022

2022-10-22 Carroll Inlet Day Trip

This time of year, we get precious little good weather and so when a good weather day emerges, I like to take advantage of it if I can. The forecast showed sunny skies and very little wind on Saturday and so I decided to make a day trip out of it.  The forecast also showed a nasty storm rolling in late Saturday night and through Sunday, and so I wanted to make sure I was back safely tied up in port before that storm hit.

I fired up the engines in the dark about 6:40 AM and pulled out about 7 AM, just as it was starting to get light.  I could see well enough so that radar wasn't required.  If anyone reads these posts, which seems unlikely, they may recall that on my last outing my radar and depth finder were not functional.  I had a Garmin technician come by and of course they both worked perfectly when he was on board.

Here is my route for the day.  This is a screen shot from my Garmin InReach Explorer.  It sends a waypoint every 10 minutes while I am underway, and anyone who knows the link can go to it and see exactly where I am, within 10 minutes.  This view is zoomed down so that it will fit into one screen.  It may look like I traveled over land at times, but that is just due to the 10-minute waypoint interval.  The link to track my progress is   https://share.garmin.com/EricYoungblood  

If you go to that link, you may have to filter it for a specific time frame, or it will show you all the trips I have ever taken, which would be somewhat overwhelming.

My destination was a small unnamed cove in Carroll Inlet that has a mooring buoy in it.

You can see that it is relatively close to town, only about 18 nautical miles distant.  The red marker indicates my starting point at Bar Harbor.



I arrived at the cove at about 9:30 AM.  The weather was sunny, warm and calm.  I got tied up to the mooring buoy without incident.  Here is a shot of my GPS chart plotter that shows my position in the cove.



There's not much to tell for this trip.  I just tied onto the buoy and hung out for a few hours, mostly eating lunch and reading.  Here are some shots I took of the area around the cove.  Not a bad place to spend part of a sunny Saturday.  Note the snow on the mountain tops.  Time to get the snow tires on the truck.







I wanted to be certain to get back to town before the storm hit so I untied from the mooring buoy at 1 PM and headed home.  Sometimes the weather forecasts are not quite spot on, and I was concerned that the storm would arrive early.

I got into my slip safely without incident at about 3:30 PM.  As it turns out I could have stayed a couple more hours because it was calm right up through the evening.  As I write this entry now on Sunday morning the boat is cavorting around in the slip, and it is blowing a gale.  Glad I got back in safely.

I only logged about 36 nm for this trip.  


No comments:

Post a Comment