Tuesday, May 10, 2022

2022-05-07 Bailey Bay - Klu Bay Trip

 I had been watching the weather forecasts closely since returning from the maintenance period in Wrangell.  That was not really a "boat trip" per se, since I just ran the boat up there, and then ran it back after the maintenance was done.

The Ketchi-Canvas lady was scheduled to start working on the repairs to the flybridge enclosure on or after May 10th, and I figured I wouldn't be able to take the boat out while she was working on it.

I had been wanting to get up to Klu Bay in Western Behm Canal, but it is a long run up there, about 45 miles, so I didn't want to stay just one night.

A 3 day weather window opened up with 3 days of sunshine and at the same time 3 days of little or no winds, perfect weather for a trip like this.

I left Bar Harbor about 6 AM on Saturday in calm conditions.

I did not take any photos on the way up there, but it was a nice calm ride.

Getting tied up to the mooring buoy by myself was a challenge, since there was tidal current in Bailey Bay.  I finally got my rope through the ring and got tied up.  Then I noticed my boat hook slowly drifting away in the current.  I could have made the effort to put the raft in and go after it, but I did not.  I carry a spare, so now I need a new boat hook.

Here are some shots I took from the boat while tied to the mooring buoy in Bailey Bay.



Kayakers camped on the beach



I spent a quiet night on the mooring buoy there.

I played some guitar, did crossword puzzles, and read on my Kindle app.

On Sunday morning I got underway about 10:15 AM.

My "neighbors" on shore must have had a tent camp up in the brush somewhere because after eating their meal out on the beach last night they disappeared into the woods.  In the morning they must have been heading out because they emerged from the woods with heavy packs and headed over to where their kayaks were pulled up onto the beach.  They were still sorting their gear and loading the kayaks when I left.

I motored slowly down Hassler Pass and into Gedney Pass, and then into Shrimp Bay, which connects through a narrow but deep channel into Klu Bay.  I got tied to the mooring buoy much easier this time as there was no current to deal with,

Here are some shots of Klu Bay.












On the way out I had to pass through Shrimp Bay again.  There are 2 waterfalls there, side by side.

Video would have been much better to show the massive amount of water coming out of the larger of the 2 waterfalls.  I will work on being able to capture video in the future, I thought my old Nikon D80 could capture video, but it does not.



This is the view looking out towards the entrance to Shrimp Bay, through which I must pass on my way south towards home.


A recent addition to the boat is an auto-pilot, which makes it easier to take a few photos when I am alone and underway.




I had planned to not get into Bar Harbor until evening because I had no reason to hurry back, and on sunny days the wind tends to kick up a little in the late afternoon and then calm back down again in the evening.

So I planned to stop in at my favorite place, the USFS dock at the back of Naha Bay.

Fortunately there was a spot at the dock for me, even though there were a couple of smaller boats already there.

I took a short walk up the trail and shot a few photos.









I pulled out from the dock there at the Naha about 5 PM and slowly made my way back into town, arriving into Bar Harbor about 8 PM in dead calm conditions.
Total distance traveled was 101 nautical miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment