Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2018-01-24 Update

Not much happening this winter, at least as far as the boat is concerned.
I have been sleeping down there from time to time, and I did take it out to get fuel in mid January.
Faraway needs a real thorough cleaning!

Here are the plans for spring and summer.

I've made arrangements with Alaska Commercial Electronics in Petersburg to install a Furuno autopilot.  The plan is for them to begin the work on April 13th.  So that means I need to plan to take off from Ketchikan at least 3 days prior to that, in order to get up there by the afternoon of the 12th.

They say it will take a couple of days to do the work, and to do some sea trials to make sure it is working and to train me on how to use it.

I have a maintenance session scheduled at the Wrangell Boat Shop starting on April 18th.  They say they need a week to do the tasks that I have outlined, but I suspect it won't take them that long, unless they intentionally dilly-dally.  The list of tasks is much shorter than last year's and they finished in less than a week last year.

So the plan is for me to stay on the boat in Wrangell as it is up on the "ways."  They say it is OK to do that.  Of course I will need to use the rest room in the shop, and possibly take showers at the pool.  But that is fine, and it is a lot cheaper than coming home and going back up there again.

After the Wrangell Boat Shop maintenance I will run back down to Ketchikan, hopefully in time to meet my daughter Karen, who is tentatively scheduled to fly in on April 30th in order to help me run the boat down to her new home at Gig Harbor Marina, in Gig Harbor Washington.  Wife Lisa is no longer able to make that trip due to health issues.  I am looking forward to spending some quality time with Karen on that trip.

Hopefully we will make it to Gig Harbor in a couple of weeks.

After that I plan to do some cruising in the Seattle area and the San Juan Islands area.

So that's the plan, but we'll see how reality stacks up.


No comments:

Post a Comment