Thursday, November 2, 2017

2017-10-29 Harbor Cruise

Many relatives were in town for Steven's funeral, and so we thought a short harbor cruise would be in order.

For this trip we had :

Judy Doran - Steven's mother
James Orbistondo - Steven's uncle
John Orbistondo - another uncle
Ryan Doran - Steven's brother
Jennifer Youngblood - my oldest daughter
Hayden Rojas Youngblood - Jennifer's son, my grand son, age 2 1/2

It was a somewhat convoluted voyage plan.

John had to return a rental car and take a flight later in the afternoon.
So the plan was for him to take the car across and return it, and then I would pick him up on the airport side.

James also had a flight out later that afternoon so he brought his luggage with him on board.
The plan was to drop off both John and James on the airport side after the harbor cruise was over.

We pulled out about 2 PM.
The weather was sunny, but there was a cool, brisk, NW breeze blowing through the Narrows.
Inside the boat it was warm because of the sunshine through the glass.
But if you went out on deck it was very cold.

We picked up John on the dock that is on the SE side of the airport ferry ramp.
The backup airport ferry was tied there, but there was plenty of room behind it.
I knew the float plane dock was on the NW side, but I thought it was off limits to local boaters.

We did a typical harbor cruise.
We went through Bar Harbor, then slowly past downtown.
We went into Thomas Basin just briefly, and then out past the Coast Guard base to Doyon's Landing.

Then we headed back to the same dock where I had picked up John.
I dropped off John and James and then went back to the stall.

Before I got home I got a call from Judy saying that John and James had been detained by the airport police for being dropped off in a restricted area.

When I got home I got a call from the airport police who proceeded to tongue lash me for about 15 minutes.  He explained that there was a designated area of the float plane dock for local boats to drop off and pick up people.

I did not know that.

He told me that if he did not call back within 30 minutes then the matter had been dropped.
However, he implied that they might have to "pursue the matter further."
That sounded ominous.

However I never heard anything more about it, and I heard later that John and James made their scheduled flights.
So I guess all's well that ends well.

Photos from the trip:

Hayden at the helm


These life jackets are so uncomfortable!

James, Judy, John
Ryan handles the lines
Jennifer and Hayden on the flybridge
James at the flybridge helm
John and James with Deer Mountain in the background
Pulling away from the restricted dock

No comments:

Post a Comment